In our Zen tradition, regular private interview with a teacher is an important element of study and practice. This page describes how you can receive a virtual interview with the Village Zendo’s teachers, while the Covid-19 pandemic prevents us from meeting at the zendo.
This page will be updated as needed, particularly the interview schedule at the bottom.
1. With a few exceptions, students do not need to schedule interview appointments. They can simply show up at VZ’s Zoom interview room when the teacher of their choice offers interview. The schedule below shows the times that teachers will offer interview each week.
NOTE: VZ’s Zoom interview room is accessed separately from the online Zendo. A link and a few technical details concerning how to access the interview room appear at the bottom of this page.
2. When you show up for interview, you’ll initially be placed in a waiting room. The waiting room is like the interview line in the physical zendo, allowing people to wait their turn while maintaining the privacy of everyone’s interview.
3. As is customary at VZ, teachers will offer dues-paying members interview first. This member benefit is not meant to discourage non-members from seeking interview. To inquire about your dues payments and membership status, write to email@example.com.
4. If a large number of students shows up for interview at the same time, the teacher may not have time to see everyone. If this happens, the teacher will inform anyone who can’t be accommodated. Those who don’t receive interview with one teacher are welcome to show up for interview with another teacher — although we ask that you receive only one interview per week.
5. Please be punctual. Showing up more than 10 minutes after the starting time for any teacher’s interview block greatly reduces the odds that you will obtain interview. We suggest that you sit zazen while waiting for your interview to begin. While sitting zazen in the waiting room, please sit facing the computer with the audio on so that you can hear when the teacher begins your interview.
6. There will be times when the teacher scheduled to offer interview will be unable to do so because of illness, vacation etc. In those cases, we will try to find a substitute teacher to see students in that time slot. If we cannot find a substitute, the community will be notified through our groups.io email group. (Join the group here.)
- Ryotan Roshi: 10:30-11:30am on Saturdays, and at other times of mutual convenience. His interviews will not take place in the Zoom room. Email Ryotan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Soshin Hoshi: Please email Soshin on email@example.com. She can accommodate Duo, Facetime, WhatsApp and Zoom.
- Jo An Hoshi: Weekday evenings after 6:00pm. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions about the Village Zendo’s interview process, please email email@example.com.
Meeting ID: 921 0757 5776
Technical note: The Zoom application is available for a wide array of devices, and you should download the Zoom app onto whatever device you use to participate in interview. It is possible to phone in without video using the telephone numbers below, but your experience of interview will be significantly enhanced with video.
For telephone-only access (again, not recommended), dial one of these numbers and enter meeting ID 921 0757 5776. There is no need to enter any participant number; just push pound when prompted.
+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/abFU8zMugd
Village Zendo Teacher Interview Schedule
Teacher interview is not currently offered on Sundays.
Some teachers require appointments.
|Time (New York)||Monday||Tuesday||Wednesday||Thursday||Friday||Saturday|
|8:15am – 9:15am||Fugan Hoshi|
|8:45am – 9:45am||Joshin Roshi|
|9:00am – 10:00am||Enkyo Roshi|
|10:30am – 11:30am||Ryotan Roshi by appointment|
|10:00am – 11:00am||Tokuyu Hoshi|
|11:00am – 12:00pm||Myoko Sensei|
|1:30pm – 2:30pm|
|2:00pm – 3:00pm||Shinryu Roshi|
|4:00pm – 5:00pm||Bokushu Hoshi|
|5:00pm – 6:00pm||Enkyo Roshi|
Here is the link to access the Village Zendo’s interview room 1. When you access this room at the time the teacher of your choice offers interview, you will initially be in the waiting room while those in line ahead of you receive their interviews.