Ango means “peaceful dwelling.” It is a traditional period of intensified Zen practice.
At the Village Zendo, our 90-day winter ango begins on December 26th, the first day of our year-end meditation retreat. Ango concludes in late March with Urban Sesshin and Shuso Hossen. The shuso (practice leader) for Winter Ango 2016 is Fusho Traven Rice.
In conjunction with Roshi Enkyo O’Hara, the shuso has developed a commitment form to guide our practice. If you would like to formally enter Winter Ango, please complete the form and submit it*. This confirms your intention to intensify your practice during ango. You may wish to review your commitment form with a VZ teacher.
• Letter from Roshi Enkyo O’Hara
• Letter from shuso Fusho Traven Rice
• Winter Ango commitment form PDF or Word/Pages Doc *
• Ango study text: The Hidden Lamp – Available at the Zendo’s store or online.
• December 26 – January 1: Year End Retreat at the Garrison Institute
• Saturday, January 16: Zazenkai 8 am – 8 pm
• Saturday February 13: Zazenkai 8 am – 8 pm
• March 16-18 : Urban Sesshin
• Saturday March 19: Zazenkai, 8:15 am – 5:30 pm, including Hansaku Gyo Cha ceremony
• Sunday March 20: Shuso Hossen ceremony for Fusho Traven Rice, 9:30 am – noon
Note that you do not need to attend our winter retreat at the Garrison institute to participate in our Winter Ango 2016. Please join us in this time of intensified practice and commitment.
*You may email us the text or scan of your commitment form to email@example.com or drop it off in the office at the Zendo or at our winter retreat in Garrison. Commitment forms will be read by Roshi and Shuso.
Photo: Winter Labyrinth by Oshin Jennings
Photo: Fusho Zazen by Jiryu Davis
For additional information contact firstname.lastname@example.org