What To Bring To Summer Ango At The Grail
The weather at the Grail during August can range from sweltering to rather cool. If you are coming for a week, check the forecast; for the month, be prepared for both extremes.
For clothing consider bringing:
- Sitting robe and rakusu or any dark, loose-fitting clothing that will be comfortable for long periods of meditation.
- Slide-on shoes or sandals will make outdoor kinhin (walking meditation) easier for you.
- Indoor shoes or soled slippers if you are concerned about slipping on the Grail’s hardwood floors.
- Comfortable work clothes or samué.
- Clothes for exercise or yoga: yoga may be provided, and there are many roads and trails you may wish to hike or run during breaks in the day, so please bring appropriate clothing if you wish to take part.
- A swimsuit might be useful if you are staying the month.
- Wide brimmed hat to shade you from the sun.
Along with your usual toiletries and any necessary medications consider bringing:
- Alarm clock.
- Insect repellent.
- Sun lotion.
- Oryoki bowls if you have them.
- Ear plugs.
Checkbook, to offer donations to teachers or buy from the Zendo store.
The following are supplied, but you may wish to have your own. If so, be sure to label with your name:
- Towel and washcloth.
- Yoga mat.
- Zafus, benches and chairs will be provided for meditation, but if you have any specific requirements, you may wish to bring your own cushion or bench.
- Coffee and tea will always be provided, but if you have any particular habits, you may want to bring your own instant coffee or tea bags.